Over 650 million students aged children have access to the internet, and the UN is working to connect an additional 1.3 billion students in the next decade. The UN has been working to connect an additional 1.3 billion students in the next decade. With quarantines, school violence, lack of public transportation, increased fuel costs, mass migration due to conflicts like Syria, Ukraine, Afghanistan, Yamen, and many many more, it is imperative that society does not loss the potential from these school aged children to become productive members of our society.
AI-assisted education systems are an emerging trend in the field of education, ranging from simple chatbots to guided VR field trips. These various systems are designed to help teachers and educators teach in a more efficient way. They offer a number of benefits, such as being able to provide personalized instruction, and better understanding of students’ needs. Students retain 75% of knowledge acquired through experiences (like a VR field trip) verses 10% from traditional learning methods.
Here are five key benefits to using AI in the classroom:
1) Artificial Intelligence powered teaching assistants are of great assistance for teachers because they can help them plan their lessons, mark work, and much more with minimal input required from the teacher. With AI’s help, teachers can focus on improving the quality of their lesson planning and teaching skills.
2) AI can provide personalized learning to each student and be a more effective teacher than humans. The personalized learning allows students to learn at their own pace and on their own time. These artificial intelligence-driven teachers can tailor lessons to a student's individual skills and needs.
3) AI can provide students with interactive learning through video tutorials, virtual reality, and games. It does more than just performs the teacher’s job; it can also help students learn more easily. Now there are many different apps with AI to teach subjects like Math, English, science and others. These apps use virtual reality and video tutorials to make learning interactive for students. More importantly, it acts with unlimited patience as the student learns. The information feed into the AI will allow it implement various learning tools personalized to the student’s strongest abilities. The teacher can then personally assist the approximately 5% of students who do not respond to the AI program. The time saved by using AI will allow teachers to effectively teach 100 students without teacher or student burn-out with the greatest of amount of knowledge retained by the students.
Students retain 75% of knowledge acquired through experiences (like a VR field trip) verses 10% from traditional learning methods.
4) AI can supplement human teachers by providing additional resources, such as research papers, articles and videos that they may not have time to read or watch themselves.
5) AI allows for more flexible education by giving students access to online courses from anywhere at any time.